Dec 152013

I just love saying that! 😀

For our VMQG Opportunity Quilt we are making blocks that have squares or rectangles inside of other squares or rectangles.

The exact rules are here.  We must have a ring of white.  I chose to use Azure, Red and Oasis as my other colors.  These are the two I made today.

Block in a Block #1

Block in a Block #1

Block in a Block #2

Block in a Block #2

Thanks for looking! 🙂



Aug 282012

QuiltCon is the first convention devoted to Modern Quilting.  It will be held in Austin, TX, February 21 through 24, 2013.  If you haven’t heard about it, please click here and read on.  It will be a fantastic opportunity to take workshops, listen to lectures and view stunning quilts on display from around the world. Oh yes, and there will be shopping!!

The folks at QuiltCon also presented us with a block challenge.  Our challenge was to use the colors of the QuiltCon logo to make a block that reflects what modern quilting means to us.

I started sketching and came up with  a number of designs.  While in the process of narrowing these down, we made a trip to the local nursery to get ideas for landscaping our patio.  I think looking at the stem structure of various plants we were considering influenced my design process.

Horsetail Reed

After that visit I became obsessed with segmenting units of color.   I decided to reinterpret the design of the horsetail reed using segmented sections of fabric + improv piecing.

Here are some segmented sections that I sewed together into strips.

Segmented Sections Strip

Segmented Sections – First Block

Above is the first block I made.  I wanted the strips to be slightly curved and really enjoyed the curved piecing.  Sorry for the dark photo.  Yes, I included the Siamese enhanced design wall in the crop.  Luckily, he didn’t attack the board while the block was on it!

Next, I decided to make my life easier and make the strips less curvy. I really liked the curved strips, but wanted to consider the feelings of the person sewing my block together with others to make a quilt top.  I didn’t want my block to be the one that misbehaved!

Segmented Sections -2

Next, I decided to use a non-white background.  😉   I decided on Buttercup.  I also wanted to have some invisible sections in the segments.  This is how that block turned out.

Segemented Sections - Yellow

Segmented Sections -3

I sent in all three blocks to QuiltCon.  When I get a chance I’m going to make a few more and see how they look pieced together into a quilt top.

Thanks for stopping by!

Jun 152012

I will post the next chapter of my trip soon, but in the meantime…

At the VMQG we had a block challenge for June. Our challenge was to take the fabric we received in our May fat quarter swap, add other fabric to it and sew a block using the “something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue” rhyme as inspiration.  Our received swap fabric would be considered the “borrowed”.

The fat quarter on the bottom one I received in the swap!

The rest were the following fabrics:

I decided to fussy cut the motifs.

The borrowed fabric is Bird Sanctuary by Yuwa.

An idea was taking shape

I liked this layout the best

My block is finished!  I was nighttime when I finished the block so excuse the dark photo.  I’m happy with the outcome. Thanks for looking! 🙂